Some of my Favorite Books

Humility in the Life of the Believer

Matthew 11:28-30

Jesus lived his earthly days with a humble spirit, and He taught us to demonstrate humility as well. In the kingdom of God, those who become like little children are honored (Matthew 18:4); the one who wants to be first must take last place (Mark 9:35); and servanthood is a mark of prominence in God's eyes. (Matthew 23:11) With His teachings, Jesus turned the world's definition of greatness upside down. In heaven, meekness is an attribute of great honor.

Humility does not automatically come to those who have few material belongings or to those who give their possessions away. The rich can be unassuming people, just as the poor can be proud. Success does not have to lead to pride, nor does defeat automatically mean humbleness. What determines humility is attitude. Jesus promises that those who humble themselves on earth will be exalted by their heavenly Father. However, He warns that those who put themselves first will find themselves opposed by God. (James 4:6)

As we recognize that we can do nothing of value apart from the Lord, we will have started on the road to meekness. When we lay down all our plans and instead accept God's, we will be leaving behind our proud selves. If we are misunderstood or treated unfairly, but stay where we are until God tells us to speak or move, then we will have begun to live the humble life.

Certain individuals have asked me why I stayed in places where I was mistreated and unappreciated. I have thought a lot about this question in recent weeks since my separation from my most recent employer. And I believe that God told me to speak when I stood up for what I believed was right with them. As a result He enabled me to move on. Yes, God does indeed work in mysterious ways. It was not pleasant the way things happened, but it truly was a blessing in disguise. So to answer this question I would have to say that I stayed where I was until God told me to speak and move. During that working year I prayed for that family and business day and night. At times I even shared my written daily messages with them. Some of which I know the Lord inspired for them.

The Lord offers to be our Master Teacher so we might learn the godly lessons of humility. Will you let Him serve you in this way?

Sincerely,

Mrs. P

No comments:

Post a Comment