Some of my Favorite Books

Examining The Parables of Job

What does this mean to you?

Oh that I were "as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me; When his candle shined upon my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness; As I was in the days of my youth, when the secret of God was upon my tabernacle; When the Almighty was yet with me, when my children were about me; When I washed my steps with butter, and the rock poured me out rivers of oil; When I went out the gate through the city, when I prepared my seat in the street!

When I asked my 11 year old daughter what she thought this meant she replied, "This means that you would do anything for God; I'm not sure since I'm a kid but I think it means that he will guide your path."

It is my thought that Job felt abondoned by God, and utterly crippled by the loss of his youngest and most gloriously lived years. It was during this time when Job felt God's presence, and saw God's light surrounding him. There was a time when Job felt safe, empowered by the truth of God's word, loved, blessed and admired by others.

Anyone who seeks the truth of God's word, and who seeks a relationship with God will find it. How a person feels when they are in the presence of God is life changing to say the least. One can be so filled with the Holy Spirit that they forget that they live in a world that is both volatile and unpredictable. So when tragedy occurs, they are left feeling shocked and tormented.

It was quite a testimonial when Job said, "When the ear heard me, then it blessed me; and when the eye saw me, it gave wittness to me; Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him. The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me: and I caused the widow's heart to sing for joy. I put on righteousness, and it clothed me: my judgement was as a robe and a diadem. I was eyes to the blind, and feet I was to the lame. I was a father to the poor: and the cause which I knew not I searched out."

In reflecting back on my 11 year old daughter's statement, it would seem that God was truly guiding Job, and that Job was in fact "willing to do anything for God." Yet Job did not describe himself as a righteous man, but rather a man who exhibited this characteristic by his good deeds. Furthermore, Job did not feel that God would listen to him, or bless him if he did not seek to serve God in all things. Only, it was the Holy Spirit in Job that was compelled to do God's good works, and Job truly was a righteous man from the inside out.

There have been many moments throughout my life when I felt I could relate to Job, as I called out to God as if I could not find him. We all feel lost sometimes, and we all do our best to see ourselves through God's eyes. However, we live in a world that constantly reflects our greatest pains and our deepest sorrows. When we are hurt we naturally slap our hands over our wounds so that the Lord cannot heal them, and then we ask, "why am I still broken"? Simply answered, the Lord cannot heal what he cannot reach, he cannot make an impact if he cannot make contact. You have to make salt and be a light.

Please share your thoughts on Job...

Lady G

No comments:

Post a Comment